So many places to visit! I’ve linked to my research on places I want to visit. And, for places I’ve been, I’ve linked to my website, if I’ve written about the locale. Enjoy!
Where I Want to Visit
I keep my To Go list short, since I usually visit one or two countries a year.
- Iran. It’s in the planning stages and the cities, forests, and desert looks amazing.
- Colombia. Beaches, mountains, rain forest. What more could I want?
- Tanzania. I loved Kenya, so why not try next door.
- Panamanian jungle. An expedition would be amazing!
- Peruvian jungle.
- Namibia. The dunes look otherworldly.
- Canadian mountains and lakes.
- Norwegian fjords and ponies.
Where I’ve Been! You Should Go, Too!
It’s impossible to decide my favorite places from 30 countries on 6 continents. I love exploring places and meeting lovely people, having great experiences, eating scrumptious food, and enjoying plenty of nature or incredible museums. For a round-the-world itinerary with a combination of relaxation, sport, history, and adventure in nature, I would suggest these places to an experienced traveler and these places for a beginner to advanced traveler. By ‘beginner’ I think of a person who is only comfortable communicating with people who speak some level of English, and who is uncomfortable communicating with strangers, and would become very stressed if their planned accommodation suddenly was unavailable.
- New South Wales: Syndey, Blue Mountains, the Outback;
- Queensland: Kuranda, Wonga Beach, Mossman Gorge, Port Douglas;
- Victoria: Great Ocean Road Melbourne to Cape Otway, Bendigo, The Grampians
- Austria – Vienna
- Cambodia – Battambang, Siem Reap (Angkor Wat)
- Canada – Vancouver
- Chile – Iquique (2015), Santiago (2015), Temuco
- Croatia – Istrian Peninsula
- Denmark – Hjorring
- France – Provence region
- Germany – Berlin, Heidelberg, Koblenz
- Guatemala – Sololá (Lake Atitlán area)
- Haiti – Bellevue, near Leogane
- Honduras – Utila (island)
- Italy – Rome, Trieste
- Kenya – Maasai Mara National Park, Nakuru, Malindi, Mombasa, Wasini Island
- Laos – Luang Prabang (north), Nong Khieu (north), Pakse and 4,000 Islands (south)
- Mexico – Loreto in Baja California
- Mongolia – Bat-Ulzii, Gobi Desert, Tsetserleg, Ulaan Baatar
- Myanmar – Bagan, Dawei, Hpa-An, Lonton, Mindat, Matupi
- New Zealand – Auckland and surrounding hiking areas
- Peru – Arequipa, Cusco area (5-day Salkantay trek to Machu Picchu, Pisac, Incan ruins in region), Lake Titicaca / Puno (spent nights in town and on Uros floating island).
- Poland – Poznán, Wroclaw
- Slovenia – Kobarid
- Sweden – Uppsala
- Switzerland – Lugano, Zurich
- Taiwan – Taipei
- Thailand – Kanchanaburi (Elephants World!)
- United Kingdom – London
- United States – northern California, southern California, Portland in Oregon, Nashville in Tennessee, New York City, Maui in Hawaii
- Vietnam – Dalat, Hanoi & Halong Bay, Ho Chi Minh
Where in the world would you go, if all your costs were covered?